Saturday, March 6, 2010

Baby Steps

With Parker's 3rd birthday quickly approaching, I am spending more and more time thinking about the dreaded task of potty training. I am not sure why I feel so intimidated by it, but for some reason, this is the first parenting issue that has truly been daunting to me.

Unfortunately, Parker is not making it any easier for me. So far, he has shown no interest in potty training. We bought him a potty almost a year ago, have read books about using the potty, and talk about it several times a day. He even knows that he gets a sucker if he is successful. The problem is that every time I ask Parker if he wants to try and use the potty, he starts crying and screaming. This morning he even told Cory that he is scared of the potty. What? That is news to me!

As a result of learning this new piece of information , I decided that our first step is going to have to become less scared of the potty.

So today I let Parker sit on his potty both with and without his diaper on. We were not successful but at least he was not crying and screaming. I would definitely say that it was a step in the right direction. A baby step but at least it was a step.

I would love any advice that any of you moms out there might have about potty training a VERY stubborn and strong willed child. If I don't figure out something soon, I may have the only first grader in the world that is still wearing diapers!!

This picture cracked me up...doesn't he look so much like a man relaxing on the toilet?

1 comment:

  1. Our pediatrician recommended when there was something in the diaper that could be dumped into the potty, taking the child and the diaper into the bathroom and saying "look what it is in your diaper/pull-up/underwear. That doesn't belong in your diaper. That belongs in the potty.". And then dumping it into the potty and having the child (or you) flush it away to get them used to the idea of things going into the potty. Not sure if that will help you, but I thought it made a difference with mine. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete