Tuesday, December 8, 2009

It's Beginning to Look a Lot Like Christmas

Last year, Eden was only a few weeks old during the holidays, so we did very minimal Christmas decorating. I was sleep deprived and knee deep in breast milk and poopy diapers, so it was a miracle that I was even able to put up a small tree and our stockings.

I think that is why I was so excited about decorating this season. I even started a little bit early this year so that I would be able to enjoy it as long as possible. Here are just a few things that you might see around our house this year.
The Tree
Our tree fit perfectly in the corner by the fireplace in our new house. It's nice and snug so the kids can't get behind it and make it topple over. I have been very surprised at how well they both have done with the tree this year and have only caught them touching the ornaments a few times.

Here are my 3 favorite ornaments: Parker and Eden's "Baby's 1st Christmas" ornaments and the ornament we made the year we lost Katelyn. Since we don't have a picture of her we put a picture of her footprints instead. These 3 ornaments are the first ones to go on the tree when I am decorating, and the last ones to come down.

The mantle
This year, the mantle holds my nutcracker collection. I started it several years ago and have enjoyed adding one or two new ones each season. One of my favorites is Buckingham Palace guard nutcracker because it reminds me of our trip to London several summers ago.


The stockings
I usually hang the stockings on the mantle but I was very worried that Eden might pull one of the heavy metal stocking holders on top of her head so I had to come up with a new plan this year. I decided to put them on the windowsill instead. I actually think I really like them there and may put them there again next year.

The Nativity

I love my Willow Tree Nativity scene. I put it on the table between our couches and I have enjoyed talking about it with Parker this year. He can pretty consistently name Mary, Joseph and Baby Jesus, but gets confused with everyone else. Yesterday when I pointed to the Three Wise Men and asked him who they were, he said "The Wise Guys"!! (Close, sweet boy, close!)

I hope that you have had as much fun decorating your house this year as I have. I am taking the time to enjoy it every day, because as much as I love it, I know that I will probably be very ready to take it all down once Christmas rolls around.

No comments:

Post a Comment