Friday, June 5, 2015

PlayDay 2015

Play Day at our school looked a little different this year. It was supposed to be last Friday but after an entire week of rain, including very heavy rains on Thursday night, Play Day had to be cancelled.  Our amazing PE teachers revamped and instead of having all the events on one day, they held one event per day during the student's PE time and stretched it out over the entire last week of school.  
 
Monday was track and field events and parents were invited to come and watch.  Parker's events were in the morning and he chose to run the 75 yard dash.  He also did the egg/spoon race, three legged race with his friend Cole and the 440 team relay race.  He earned a 3rd place ribbon and three 4th place ribbons.  I was so proud of him for having fun no matter the race outcome.  If he had earned those ribbons in kindergarten, he would have had a meltdown because he didn't come in first place.  Parker is such a competitive kid and he loves to win.  The fact that he was happy with not coming in first place shows how much he has matured in the past two years. 
Eden's events were in the afternoon and, to be honest, I was not sure that she would participate in anything.  To everyone's surprise, she joined right in and tried all the events!  She even got 1st place in the 50 yard dash!  One of the other teachers commented on what a fast runner Eden was and I told her that she's probably always been a fast runner but we never knew because she's never participated in anything! 
Eden ended up with a 1st place ribbon, a 2nd place ribbon, and a 3rd place ribbon and was so excited that she earned one in every color!
Eden loves our principal, Ms. White.  When I asked her if she would take a picture with me, she quickly told me "no" but that she wanted one with Ms. White.  I see where I rank on her favorite people list! 
I finally convinced her to take a picture with me!  I was so proud of her for trying each of the events.  She has come so far this year!
Tuesday was bounce house day, Wednesday was carnival games and Thursday was water activities.  Even though Play Day looked completely different from every other year in the past, the kids still had a great time!  I am so thankful for two great PE teachers that made it a fun week despite all the bad weather!

No comments:

Post a Comment