Friday, November 6, 2009

It's a Small World

The last year that I taught first grade in Crowley, I had the best group of students ever. They were the kind of students that you wish you could teach every year and their parents were equally as wonderful. I still think about them all of the time.

Two of those students were McKenna and Eden. They were the best of friends and I fell in love with them instantly. They were the type of students that you think, "If I ever have a daughter, I hope that she will be just like them."

Last year when we found out that we were expecting a little girl, the quest for the perfect name began. My first suggestion was McKenna, but Cory and I couldn't agree on how to spell it. He wanted to spell it Mackenna, but I wanted to stick with McKenna, which was the way that my former student had spelled it.

After we couldn't agree on McKenna, I then suggested Eden, which we obviously agreed on. Our sweet daughter has so far lived up to her namesake.

Fast forward to today...

This morning I went on a field trip with my school to a pumpkin patch. As we were standing around waiting for the program to start, I saw a mother and her daughter from the other school that was there walk by. I looked at them and then I looked again. I turned to the teacher next to me and said, "I think that is one of my previous first grade students." Sure enough, they recognized me too and I was soon reintroduced to McKenna, who is now a beautiful 12 year old. It was so good to see her and visit with her mom. I also found out that they still keep in touch with Eden and her family.

It is such a small world.

Although I still think about McKenna and Eden all of the time, I never in a million years thought I would ever see them again. They will probably never know what an impact they made on my life and I hope that one day my own children will touch someone's life the way that McKenna, Eden and their families touched mine.

No comments:

Post a Comment