Tuesday, April 10, 2012

FUMC Easter Egg Hunt

Saturday was the annual FUMC Easter egg hunt.  It is the only public egg hunt that we attend for two reasons: 1) my mom takes the girls to their toddler program every Wednesday morning so we know the children's director and several of the kids that come and 2) it is less crowded than many of the other ones around town. 

I almost chickened out and didn't take the kids this year.  Usually my mom or sister comes along with me to help out, but this year they were both busy.  That meant that if we were going to go, I was going to have to take all three of my unpredictable under-the-age-of-5 children by myself.  This was also the first year that Parker and Eden were in different hunting groups so that also meant sending Parker off to hunt without me.  I was fine with that but wasn't sure how he would react to not having me there.  At the last minute, I got brave, put on my SuperMommy backpack/diaper bag, dressed the girls in matching dresses so I could keep track of them easier, and we headed off to the hunt. 

I am not sure why I was ever worried because all three kids did GREAT!!!  I couldn't believe how smoothly everything went.  Parker found a friend from preschool to hunt with and didn't even care that I wasn't around to watch him hunt his eggs.  Luckily, his group was fairly close to Eden/Lily's group so I could keep my eye on him the whole time. 
Before the hunt, the children's director asked that the parents not pick up the eggs for the toddlers, which was fine for Eden but not fine for Lily- she still needs LOTS of help.  Luckily, the daughter of one of the teachers from my school was there to help any of the kids who needed it.  She was so sweet to Lily and took her around to hunt eggs.  I think Lily only ended up with a total of 5 eggs but she didn't seem to notice at all!
I tried to get a good picture of all three kids but the sun was bright and we forgot Parker's sunglasses at home.  This was the best that I could get.  From the way he was complaining about the sun, I'm pretty sure that Parker's eyes might have fallen out if I'd made him stand there any longer!
After the hunt, we enjoyed a hot dog lunch provided by the church.  Not to pat myself on the back, but I got all four of us lunch and made it through the entire meal without any major catastrophes.  The kids begged me to play on the playground for a few minutes after lunch, and since they had done such a good job during our outing, I just couldn't say no. 
Even though our egg hunt was very successful, I was reminded that taking three little ones anywhere by yourself is hard work.  But in the end, making fun memories with Parker, Eden, and Lily was completely worth it and I am glad that I decided to take them.

No comments:

Post a Comment