Tuesday, January 1, 2013

Happy New Year!

Welcome 2013! 

I love what the new year brings- a fresh start and a chance to think about ways to improve not only your life but the lives of those around you.  I'm not a New Year's resolution kind of person.  Why make a promise to yourself that you know you probably won't keep?  I feel like it's setting yourself up for failure right from the start and I just don't need that kind of pressure in my life. 

I do, however, like to think about things I can do to make myself a better person, wife, mother, daughter, or friend.  A few weeks ago, I came across this saying on Pinterest and I just can't seem to get it off my mind.

Wow!  That hit me hard!  There are so many times after a long, trying day with three little ones that I am out of patience and everything they do gets on my nerves.  It's days like this that I tend to be short with them.  I might raise my voice or say something that I regret as soon as it leaves my mouth. 

Since Parker has started kindergarten, I've noticed that the tone of voice he uses with me when he is tired or frustrated can be quite inappropriate at times.  I'm quick to blame the other kids in his class and assume that he hears them talking this way and is picking up on their bad habits.  That may be true to some extent but I feel like some of the blame lands back right on me.  I know that on those days when I am short with him, he internalizes my words and picks up on my impatient tone of voice. 

My goal this year is to be more aware of the way I am talking to my kids so that their inner voice is full of love, patience, kindness, and respect.  Because how can I expect them to show respect with their words if it is not being modeled for them every day? 

I know that I'm not going to suddenly become a perfect mother who never raises her voice at her kids.  There are some days that I get pushed to my limits by lunchtime (or maybe even mid morning snack!) and it is very hard for me to keep my cool when they are disrespectful or disobey for the fifth time in 10 minutes.  But I hope that if I can become more aware of my words and actions, there will be more positive and less negative for them to internalize.  In the end, my desire is for them to see Jesus in everything I say and do.  That's not too hard of a goal, is it?

Good luck with all of your goals and resolutions this year!  May 2013 be a wonderful year for all of us!

No comments:

Post a Comment