Sunday, October 13, 2013

We Have a Bike Rider!

One of the best things about being a parent is watching your children reach their milestones.  With every stage comes new milestones.  From learning to smile, starting to crawl/walk, hearing their first words, and learning to read, all milestones bring a certain amount of excitement! 
 
I am finding that the older my kids get, the more exciting the milestones are for me.  Watching Parker learn to read last year was perhaps my favorite milestone yet.  I know that being a reading teacher makes me a little biased on this, but there is nothing like listening to your child read to you for the first time.
 
This past week, Parker reached another milestone.  He FINALLY learned to ride his bike!  We've been trying since April to get him interested in learning to ride.  I thought that getting a new bike for his birthday would motivate him but I was wrong.  Then I thought that seeing Addison, Jolea, Alexis, Trip and Cole riding their bikes would motivate him but, again, I was wrong.  He just had no interest in learning and seemed perfectly content riding on his Big Wheel. 
 
Cory and I worked with him sporadically over the past few months but he would always give up after a few tries.  Then one day a few weeks ago, we told Parker that if he would learn to ride his bike, we would buy him the new video game he was wanting.  And that's all the motivation he needed!  Within three days of working with me, Cory, and Uncle Jon, he was riding everywhere!  
 
A whole new world has been opened for him and he asks about 10 times a day if he can go out and ride his bike.  I am so proud of how quickly he learned to ride!  Now if we can just teach him to tie his shoes!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment