Monday, June 20, 2011

13th Anniversary

Cory and I celebrate our 13th anniversary today! We started our morning with a very romantic breakfast at McDonald's, eating pancakes with the kids and then watching them play together on the playscape. We are going to get away for a few days this week to enjoy each other without the kids- to be husband/wife and not parents. We are both looking forward to some time to relax and enjoy each other's company without three little ones demanding our time and attention. It should be very nice and rejuvenating!
As I look back at our wedding picture, two words come to mind: young and naive. We were so young when we got married- I was barely 21 and Cory was almost 23. We were both still in college and had no idea what the real world was really like. We were just so happy to finally be married after dating for more than six years. We didn't have any money and our little one bedroom apartment was everything we could have ever wanted. When I think back, it really was some of our best times. We stayed in this naive, nothing-will-ever-happen-to-us mindset for several years. And then, one day, our wedding vows were finally put to the test when, within a two year span, we were faced with Cory being diagnosed with MS and losing our first baby girl.

In sickness and in health. In good times and bad.

How often do couples think about what these words really mean as they are standing in front of their family and friends on their wedding day? We sure didn't.

I wish I could take the hardships of MS away from Cory and I would give anything to have Katelyn back, but I know that our relationship would not be where it is today without these trials that we have faced together. We are definitely a stronger couple because of them.

The past 13 years have had a lot of ups and downs and I know there are many more still to come, but I can't imagine going through this life without Cory. He is still my best friend. He still makes me laugh. He still makes me feel beautiful. He always loves me even when I don't deserve it. I am a very lucky girl and am so thankful that he chose me to be his bride 13 years ago. Happy Anniversary, Cory! I love you!

No comments:

Post a Comment