Saturday, June 25, 2011

Anniversary Getaway

Cory and I were so excited when my mom offered to keep the kids for a couple of days so we could have an anniversary getaway. After lots of researching, we decided we did not have enough time to fly anywhere and picked a really nice resort, La Cantera, in San Antonio to visit. I was not interested in doing any sight seeing while we were there. I just wanted to relax, sleep late, and eat some good Mexican food.

We stopped on our way down at the outlet malls in San Marcus and Cory let me have some retail therapy. It was wonderful to shop without feeling rushed. I felt like I was in heaven with both an Ann Taylor AND an Ann Taylor LOFT. I was convinced that it could not get any better and then I went into the COACH outlet to browse and found a really good deal on a great purse. What a great start to our trip!

We were both starving after so much shopping so we headed to La Fogata, a Mexican restaurant that we remembered eating at with my sister and brother-in-law when they lived in San Antonio. It was even better than we remembered and we left completely stuffed!

When we arrived at the resort, they informed us that they did not have any more of the rooms that we reserved but that they would upgrade us to a room with a pool view for a small fee. We were tired so we agreed, but when we got to our room and realized that our view was not of the pool but of a huge tree, we decided to complain. The manager was very nice and found us a better room with a courtyard view and without the upgrade fee, which made us very happy. We became even more happy when we realized that our new room was on the club level floor that included a free continental breakfast and happy hour that included free snacks and wine every evening. This kind of luck NEVER happens to us and we just kept waiting for someone to knock on our door and tell us that they had made a terrible mistake!!

The next day was absolutely perfect- an hour long massage at the spa, reading and relaxing by the pool for several hours and another great Mexican dinner. The best part was that there were no feeding schedules to keep, no tantrums, no diaper changes, no food to be cut into small bite-sized pieces. It was just me and Cory, free to do whatever we wanted, whenever we wanted, without anyone interrupting our conversation.
We are back home now. Back to reality. Back to being mommy and daddy. It is amazing how just a few days away will refresh your mind and spirit enough to make the days with three little ones more enjoyable. (Don't get me wrong- I LOVE being a mommy but it is definitely the hardest and most exhausting job I have ever had.) Thanks again to my parents for being willing to watch our kids for a few days so that we could recharge and rejuvenate. We are so grateful for the time to get away together to celebrate our anniversary and reconnect as husband and wife. And hopefully next time we get away I will remember to get at least one picture of Cory and I together!!

No comments:

Post a Comment