Friday, September 30, 2011

Our Precious Katelyn

Today our precious Katelyn turns 6.

I spent most of the day either in bed with the stomach virus or taking care of Parker who also had the virus. Not fun. Last night, in the middle of the night, while I was laying next to a sick little boy, I relived the night she was born. That was a tough night six years ago. Our whole lives turned upside down in the matter of a few hours.

And now here we are, three beautiful kids later, and I still miss her as much as I did six years ago. Things definitely are easier. The initial sting of losing a child has subsided, but it is something that you never get over completely.

The past couple of months have been particularly hard for me. Katelyn would have started kindergarten this year. As I watched all the parents at drop off on the first day, I couldn't help but be a little sad thinking that we should be there too. I wonder what she would have worn, what color backpack she would have picked out, who her teacher would have been. Memories that will never be made with our sweet girl.
And while we will not be celebrating with our daughter today, there is another little girl celebrating her 6th birthday with her family today. A little girl in Nicaragua who shares a birthday with our sweet Katelyn. A little girl that we support through Compassion International every month. A little girl, who without even knowing it, has touched my life and given me a reason to smile on a day that is filled with a lot of sadness. Happy Birthday Mayorling!

And Happy Birthday Katelyn! We still love you so much! May you have a wonderful day celebrating with the angels!

No comments:

Post a Comment