Thursday, September 1, 2011

Westhill Thursday School

Parker and Eden had their first day of Thursday School today. I'm not sure how I am old enough to have two kids in preschool, but somehow it has happened. Seeing Parker start another year of school is very bittersweet. I know he will have a great year...he always does, but it's very hard to think that this is the last time he will start preschool. Next year, he will be off to kindergarten. (*sigh*) It brings me to tears thinking about it, so I just try not to!

Seeing Eden start preschool today, on the other hand, was hard. How on earth can she be big enough to go to preschool? Didn't I just bring her home from the hospital last week? Apparently not.

They were both VERY excited about their first day, especially after Meet the Teacher last Sunday. Parker's teacher is Ms. Donna and Eden has Ms. Debbie. (Eden was a little confused at first because her speech therapist is also named Ms. Debbie. It took a lot of explaining for her to realize that she now has two Ms. Debbie's!)

Yesterday, we started preparing for their big day. Eden helped me pack their lunches and I got their "first day of school" clothes ironed and ready to go. This morning after breakfast, Parker went to his room and got dressed all by himself. He had no idea that I had special clothes for him so he just picked out his favorite baseball shirt to wear. When I told him that I had something else for him to wear, he broke down crying. I felt so bad that I had crushed his sweet little spirit and quickly decided that it didn't matter what he wore today, as long as I praised and encouraged his independence.

Eden loved her new dress because it had polka dots and flowers and she could twirl in it- three things that she loves!


They both walked into school on their own and for the first time in our first-day-of-preschool history, we left Parker without him crying. I could tell he was a little nervous, but he went right into his classroom, hung up his backpack, and started working at his table. What a big boy!

We were not sure how Eden would react to us leaving her, but she also did a great job. She sat right down and we worked on a puzzle together for a few minutes before telling her goodbye.
Luckily, I had a doctor's appointment to keep me busy today because I missed Parker and Eden a lot more than I expected. I could not wait to pick them up this afternoon. They both had a great day and talked nonstop all the way home. According to them, they took a nap before lunch (it is actually after lunch!), sang songs, read stories, played with balls, ate lunch, and went outside to play. Parker even said he played with Eden after lunch for a little bit. (He also added that he only played with her for a little bit because he wanted to go back and play with his big friends.) The only weird thing that happened today is that Parker lost his lunch box. Yes, on the first day! His teacher is not sure how it happened and we are hoping that it turns up next week. If not, I guess we will be headed to Target to get another $2.99 lunch box. (Their backpacks were $4.99 from Wal-Mart and lunch boxes were $2.99 from Target.) This is why I don't spend a lot on their school supplies. It's a lot easier to not get upset about something happening to them when you haven't put much into them in the first place.

Today was definitely a success and I could not be more excited about the upcoming year! I know that Parker and Eden are going to have so much fun and make a lot of memories with their new teachers and friends!

No comments:

Post a Comment