Monday, May 7, 2012

WTS Program/Graduation

Last night was Parker and Eden's end of the year program/graduation at Thursday school. Each class sang a song and then the entire preschool sang several songs together before presenting the graduates their "diplomas". 

Parker's class recited the Pledge of Allegiance and sang two songs about going to kindergarten.  They were very cute and he did a great job!
Next up was Eden's class.  Just to give you a little background on Eden- she has always hated singing.  She also hates when other people sing.  She will usually tell me "no" or "stop" when I start tuning up.  One of my biggest desires was that she would learn a few songs and enjoy singing them this year in preschool.  About three weeks ago, we were driving to meet my sister for dinner when my mom and I realized that Eden was in the back seat singing "Twinkle, Twinkle, Little Star".  I have never felt so happy and proud.  Over the last few weeks, I have caught her several times singing songs that she learned in preschool.  She will even join with me now when I sing "Jesus Loves Me" to her at bedtime. 
I knew that Eden would more than likely not sing a word at her program, and I was perfectly fine with that.  All I wanted was for her to get up on stage with her class without throwing a fit.  That would be a successful program for me.
Her class sang "Old McDonald Had a Farm" and she was one of the pigs.  She talked all week about holding up her pig picture during the song and even seemed a little excited about it.  I was thrilled when Eden walked up on stage with her friends and the music began without any tears from her.  The cows sang their verse and then it was the pig's turn.  As soon as she realized the spotlight was on her group, the tears started flowing.  Not loud, fit throwing tears, just scared-out-of-my-mind-and-I'm-going-to-cry-quietly-so-hopefully-no-one-will-notice-me tears.  It was heart wrenching.  I wanted so badly to run up on the stage and rescue her, but she finally made it through the song and a teacher picked her up to console her. 
I was shocked when she joined all the classes on stage for the group singing.  She did not utter a sound, of course, but she stood there without crying.  Hopefully, she will outgrow her stage fright by the time her next program rolls around, but seeing as how she is just like me when I was three, I don't have much hope! 
After all the songs were sung (or heard, in Eden's case!), it was time to "graduate".  They announced all of the kids going to kindergarten next year and presented them with a diploma and a backpack that had a Bible in it.  Parker has been carrying or wearing that backpack all day today and we have been reading and rereading lots of his favorite Bible stories.  It was a perfect ending to a great final year of preschool.
Parker and Eden both had such wonderful teachers this year.  Ms. Donna was encouraging and patient with Parker and Ms. Debbie was loving and nurturing to Eden.  It was exactly what each of them needed.  They made some special friends and lots of wonderful memories.  I am really sad to see it come to an end this Thursday but so thankful for another wonderful year!

No comments:

Post a Comment