Saturday, June 9, 2012

Bahamas

Cory and I just got back from an incredible five day vacation to the Bahamas.  My parents were so sweet to watch the kids so that we could have a week to get away from being mommy/daddy and focus on being husband/wife for a few days.  Don't get me wrong, being a mom is one of the greatest joys of my life.  It's something I've wanted for as long as I can remember.  But I truly believe that it is very important to keep our marriage strong so that we can be the best parents to our kids.  

Several months ago, Cory mentioned going to the beach for our anniversary.  He did all of the research and planning and decided on the all inclusive, adult only Sandals resort in the Bahamas.  It was a little more pricey that some of the other resorts, but we quickly discovered that being in an all adult resort was well worth it.  We love our kids but the whole point of going on vacation together was to get away from them.  Our resort catered to couples and we did not see or hear one crying or whining child the entire week! 

We flew out on Monday morning and got to the resort about five o'clock.  We didn't have time to hit the beach but enjoyed a nice Italian dinner before checking out the resort and heading to bed. 
Tuesday morning we slept in until almost 9:30.  I can't remember the last time we did that!  After breakfast, we hung out by the pool for a couple of hours.  I was in heaven.  I was able to read my book without any interruptions- something else that I can't remember doing for quite a while!  I think I could have stayed by the pool until dinner but Cory was a little more restless than me.  Sitting and doing nothing is not something he enjoys and he wanted to get out and explore the island.  Because I am such a perfect wife (Ha! Ha!) I volunteered to go on a snorkeling trip that afternoon.  Unfortunately for Cory, when we went to check in for the trip, it had been cancelled due to not enough people signing up.  We decided to take a boat over to a private island and spent a couple of hours relaxing and reading on the beach.  That night we went to a pub for dinner where I tried Shepherd's Pie for the first time- it was delicious!
On Wednesday, Cory decided to sign up for a scuba diving lesson that lasted most of the morning, which meant more pool time for me!  After lunch at the pizzeria that we discovered on Tuesday, we headed into downtown Nassau to do some shopping.  We got the kids some things at the straw market and then Cory finally found an ice cream parlor.  He had been wanting ice cream the entire trip but couldn't find any at the resort.  It was fun to see what life in the Bahamas really looked like, but the bus trips to/from downtown were not fun!  I was so glad to get back to the comforts of our resort.  We went back to the private island for a nice dinner that night where I randomly met one of my mom's former first grade students who was also there celebrating her anniversary...what a small world!
Thursday morning, Cory went out to scuba dive while I treated myself to a wonderful massage and more time reading/relaxing on the beach.  Unfortunately, Cory got sick on his excursion and did not get to go out on the dive that he was so looking forward to.  After laying by the pool for several hours, we enjoyed a fun hibachi dinner before heading out to the beach for one last swim before we left on Friday morning. 
Cory and I had a great time reconnecting over the past week.  It's always nice to be reminded of how much we enjoy just hanging out together.  He is still my best friend and even with all of the ups and downs that we've experienced over the past 14 years, there is no one else I'd rather be by my side on this journey of life.

No comments:

Post a Comment