Friday, October 12, 2012

Aunt Enemy



Do you ever have one of those moments when you say something and then immediately want to take it back?

A couple of months ago, we were out running errands around town.  I had stopped to get a Sonic and the kids were all eating a snack of Scrabble CheezIts in the back seat.  Eden found an "N" on her cracker and said, "There is an N in my name" to which I responded, "Good!  Can you think of anyone else with an N in their name?".

From the third row, Parker joined in and said, "I know... Aunt Enemy has an N in her name.".

And that's when it happened.  (Parker has always called my sister, Emily, "Aunt Enemy".  It is one of my favorite Parkerisms of all times.) Without even thinking, I said, "Well, actually, Aunt Emily has an M in her name, not an N.".

"Hmmm, you mean her name is Emily, with an M?" he answered back.

That's when I knew that there was no going back.  Once Parker learns something the right way, he usually won't make that mistake again. 

I even tried using this tactic- "Yes, her name is Emily, but you can still call her Aunt Enemy if you want.", but it didn't work.  Aunt Enemy is a thing of the past.  (sniff, sniff)

Maybe I can convince Lily to call her Aunt Enemy!

No comments:

Post a Comment