Friday, December 7, 2012

Girl's Weekend- Washington DC

Last weekend, my mom, sisters and I escaped for a fun girl's weekend in Washington DC.  Meredith had a wedding to attend on Saturday so we thought it would be a good chance to get away for a few days together.  My mom also has a childhood friend who lives near DC.  She offered for us to stay in her house and we had a great time visiting with her.  My mom had not seen her in 25 years so it was fun for her to get to reunite with a lifelong friend. 

We knew that Meredith would be tied up with the wedding on Saturday so we went a couple of days early in order to get some sight seeing in on Friday.  My mom's friend, Kathy, was a great tour guide since she knew the area so well.  We started our morning with a tour of The White House.  We had been told that we could not bring cameras on the tour, but when we arrived, they informed us that since it was the holidays, we could take as many pictures as we wanted.  Luckily, we had brought our phones with us and were able to get some pictures inside The White House, which was beautifully decorated for Christmas. 
Next we took a tour of the Capitol Building.  We almost skipped this tour because there were so many other things we wanted to see, but I am so glad we didn't.  It was a great tour and we learned a lot from our tour guide.  We also got to see the House of Representatives chamber and the Senate chamber.  As we were entering the balcony of the Senate chamber, we just happened to see Senator John McCain walking out.
After lunch in the Modern Art Museum cafe, we toured the World War II Memorial and the Roosevelt Memorial.
The Arlington National Cemetery was next on our list of things to do, which included seeing the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier.
After the cemetery, it was getting late and we were all tired and hungry, but I knew I would be disappointed if we didn't see the Lincoln Memorial, so we stopped for a quick tour of that before heading back to Kathy's house.
Washington DC exceeded my expectations and I was sad that we only had one day to tour it.  There were so many other memorials and museums that I would have loved to see, but it was just impossible to do it all in one day. Hopefully Cory and I will be able to go back again soon. 

Saturday morning we went to a mall and shopped for a few hours before Meredith had to leave for the wedding.  Sunday we slept in, which is something I do not get to do very often any more.  We were all so grateful to Kathy for opening up her home to us for the weekend.  We had such a fun, relaxing weekend in DC!  The weather was absolutely perfect and there were hardly any crowds while we were touring.  It was a great time of year to go and I can't wait to go back!

No comments:

Post a Comment