Thursday, February 28, 2013

Happy 6th Birthday, Jewell

How did these two hand-holding babies...
turn into these super sweet six year olds?!?!?
Today our sweet friend Jewell turns 6!  She and Parker are only two months apart and it seems like just yesterday that we were gathered in the hospital welcoming them into our families. Time sure does fly!
 
We were able to help Jewell celebrate her birthday this past Saturday with a fun party at the skating rink.  Parker had already been skating at another friend's party, so I knew he would love it!  He laced up his skates as soon as we arrived and was off!
Eden was another story.  I knew she would like it if she would just give it a try, but she wouldn't even think about it.  She was happy to watch Parker make his laps around the rink, but quickly said "I don't want to skate" anytime I asked her if she wanted to join him.  Even Parker begged her to come try (which I thought might make her change her mind), but she stayed firm with her "No!". 
 
I have learned over the years that if I will just sit back and be patient, my kids who are not risk takers will eventually come around and give things a try.  The less I push them, the more likely they are to try something new. 
 
Just as I thought, right before pizza and cupcakes, Eden looked at me and said, "After I eat a cupcake, I want to skate.".  
Sure enough, after she finished, she laced up her skates and was off.  She started off using the walker, but after only a few laps around the rink, she handed it to me and told me she didn't want to use it anymore.  She spent the rest of her time skating (walking) around the rink without any help from me.  I couldn't believe it and was so proud of her for trying!
Parker was so excited when she started skating with him.  He truly is one of her biggest cheerleaders!
They both had a great time and were sad when it was time to leave.   They both told me on the way home that they want their next birthday parties to be at the skating rink, which means you probably need to dust off you skates because we might be seeing you in a couple of months at the skating rink for Parker's birthday party- ha!
One other fun thing that happened... at one point during the party, they made an announcement that anyone who wanted to participate in a race needed to go sit in the center of the rink.  I looked out and guess who was there?  Yep.  Parker not only raced with two other boys his age, but he actually WON his race!  He was over-the-moon excited about his accomplishment!

We had so much fun and were so glad that we were able to help Jewell celebrate her special day!  Happy Birthday, Jewell!  We love you!

No comments:

Post a Comment