Tuesday, November 14, 2017

Cory's Broken Ankle

Last week, Cory fell and broke his ankle.  As his MS progresses, his balance is getting much worse and he has been falling a lot.  He has had several close calls and I had a feeling it wouldn't be long before he fell and broke something.  

During dinner last Tuesday night, Parker dropped an entire gallon of milk on the floor.  It went EVERYWHERE, including under the refrigerator.  I had to leave 15 minutes later to take the girls to basketball tryouts so I called my dad to come over and move the fridge out so I could clean up the milk when I got home.  While Cory was in the closet putting some shorts on, he lost his balance, fell, and got his leg tangled up underneath him.  When he started screaming my name, I knew something was wrong.  Usually when he falls, he just lays there for a few minutes before he gets up.  But this time was different.  I got him to the bed and left to take the girls to tryouts.  When I got back, his ankle had started swelling. 

We called our friend and doctor, Mac, to see if we could come in first thing in the morning for an x-ray and he said he was out running errands and would stop by to take a look at it.   As soon as he saw Cory's ankle, he was almost positive it was a spiral fracture of the tibia.  Sure enough, an x-ray the next morning confirmed that Cory's tibia was fractured.  Mac was pretty sure it was going to need surgery so he sent us to Dr. Beaver that afternoon.  Luckily, Dr. Beaver doesn't think that surgery was necessary at this time so Cory will just be in a boot for the next 6 weeks.  Unfortunately, he can not put any weight on it or drive for the next 6 weeks either.   I know it's never a good time to break an ankle, but with basketball season starting and needing to drive all three kids to practices and games every week, this really was bad timing!  It may be a LONG 6 weeks for both Cory and I!
Update:  We went back to the doctor today for another x-ray and Cory's ankle isn't healing was much as we had hoped.  After a phone call to Dr. Beaver, he still doesn't thing Cory needs surgery and wants to wait another week to decide.  We are praying the his ankle starts showing some signs of healing this week.  Cory is trying to avoid surgery at all costs.

Also, after trying unsuccessfully to maneuver the walker around the house, I suggested that Cory try using his wheelchair to get around.  It has made a huge difference in our daily lives.  One week down, 5 to go!

No comments:

Post a Comment