Saturday, September 12, 2009

Celebration of Grammy's Life

I never had the opportunity to know any of my great grandparents, and it saddens me to think that my kids will not know any of theirs either. Grammy was my last living grandparent and it is weird to realize that the oldest generation in my family is now gone.

Yesterday was Grammy's funeral and it was nice to remember what a wonderful woman she was. I was trying to think about the things that I want to tell Parker and Eden about Grammy when they get older and ask about their great grandmother.

Grammy had 8 kids, 20 grandkids, and 23 great grandkids. One thing that I will always remember is that even with that big of a family, Grammy never forgot my birthday. I always knew that when I went to the mailbox on my birthday, I would find a card from her.

Another thing that I will remember about Grammy is how she loved puzzles. She was always working crossword puzzles and doing word searches. I believe this is one of the reasons she stayed so sharp for so long. Like Grammy, I too love to work all kinds of puzzles. I can't wait to see if Eden or Parker have a knack for working puzzles like me and Grammy.

Grammy always had a positive attitude, even after she had to move into the nursing home. All of the nurses loved her and she even earned the title "Resident of the Month" just a few months after she had been there! Every time we would go visit her, she would tell us stories about the other ladies in the nursing home who would wander around not knowing where they were. Grammy would always end her stories with, "I will never make fun of them because that could be me one of these days."

These are just a few of the things that I will tell Parker and Eden about when they get older. Grammy was a wonderful grandmother and she will be greatly missed. I just hope that one day, I will be able to explain to them what a wonderful great grandmother they had.

Grammy at her 90th birthday party last yearParker and Grammy- Thanksgiving 2007
Grammy and Eden- Thanksgiving 2008 (Eden was just 9 days old!)

4 generations

No comments:

Post a Comment