Thursday, September 3, 2009

First Day of Preschool

It was way too quiet in our house this afternoon. Parker started Thursday school today.

I have been so anxious about his first day of preschool after our disasterous Meet the Teacher last Sunday. I had no idea how the morning might go- it would either be really good or really bad! We have been talking to Parker the past few days about going to school and doing fun things with Ms. Marcy and his new friends.

Cory got him up this morning, fed him breakfast, and got him dressed. He looked so grown up today. Our little baby is not a baby any more. Here he is in his first day of school shirt- doesn't he look handsome!

His new backpack has been a big hit. When I asked him if he wanted to carry it this morning he said, "Too heavy!".

Here he is with Mommy and Daddy before we left for school.


The entire way to school we talked to him and told him where we were going. When we drove up he pointed and said "School!" We got out of the car and he confidently walked into the building by himself, all the way to his new classroom. Miss Marcy was waiting for him and had put some puzzles out on the table for the kids to play with. When we walked in the room, one of the other little boys was crying hysterically and Parker asked me to hold him. I was worried that the tears were about to start, so we quickly went over to the table and started working one of the puzzles together. Cory quickly told him goodbye and left the room. After working the puzzles a few more times, I looked at Parker and told him that I had to go back to work. He looked up at me, gave me a big kiss, and kept working on his puzzle. NO TEARS! I couldn't believe it!


Cory and I lingered in the hall for a few more minutes, waiting to see if this was too good to be true. Could it really be possible that our child, who still occasionally cries when I leave him at Sunday School, was able to start his first day of preschool without any tears?

After we left, Cory told me he was proud of me for not crying. I told one of the teachers that I worked with that it was easy not to cry because he was not crying. Had Parker been upset, I'm sure that I would have lost it! As a parent, we feel the same things that our kids feel. When they are happy, we are happy. When they are sad, so are we.

I hope that the rest of his day was as good as the first few moments. I am already counting down the minutes until we get to go pick him up, because it is just way too quiet without him in the house!!

UPDATE: Parker had a GREAT day!! They said he didn't cry at all and had a lot of fun playing with the balls. He was so hungry when we picked him up...he finished the rest of his lunch in the car on the way home. He did not take a nap, but Ms. Marcy said he did lay down on his nap mat for a little while. He was so sweet when we picked him up and even gave Ms. Marcy a kiss goodbye when we left! I am already crossing my fingers that next Thursday is as successful as today!

No comments:

Post a Comment