Friday, March 30, 2012

Play Ball!

For those of you who thought I might have disappeared- don't worry...I'm back!

For the past week, every spare minute I've had was spent reading. I discovered The Hunger Games trilogy and I have not been able to put it down.  I read the first book in three days, the second one in three days, and am currently halfway through the third and final book.  It has been a long time since I have enjoyed a book this much.  I even got a chance to see the movie this week and loved it too!  I am actually kind of ready to be finished reading the third book so this obsession can end and I can resume my normal it-usually-takes-me-six-months-to-read-a-single-book life.

Even with this abnormal amount of reading this past week, I have managed to clean my house, stay semi-caught up on laundry and cook dinner every night!  And tonight, we enjoyed watching Parker play his first t-ball game.  He was so excited and couldn't wait to put his Tigers uniform on.
We got to the ball field a few minutes early and I knew the second that I saw the other team that we were in trouble.  They were warming up and it was obvious that most of their players were not rookies and that they were there to win.  Our team, on the other hand, is more like the Bad News Bears and is mostly made up of kids who have never played before.  Thank goodness the kids on our team don't really care.  We lost 20-12 and Parker didn't even know it!
In true Parker fashion, we did not make it through the game without an incident.  During his first at-bat, he hit the ball so well.  Unfortunately, it went right to the pitcher, who caught it in the air and got Parker out.  He did not get to run the bases like he had practiced. 
His next at-bat, he started crying and refused to go the plate to bat.  Cory tried to talk to him, his coach carried him out to the tee and tried to talk to him, but after what seemed like forever, they finally had to send him back to the dugout.  We think he was so worried about hitting the ball to the pitcher and getting another out that he just did not want to bat again.  He has promised that he will try again next week.  If not, this may be the longest t-ball season ever!
Overall, it was a good game.  The kids definitely have a lot to learn this season, but it sure was fun watching them scramble around and try to figure things out.  One of the best things is that Cory got to go out on the field and help coach, which he loved. 
Parker was so excited that Addison and Aubrey were in town tonight and that they got to come watch his first game.  I think the girls' favorite part of the evening was going to get ice cream after the game.  Ice cream can always make a meltdown on the field seem less disappointing...right?!?!

No comments:

Post a Comment