Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Spring Break- Part 1

For some reason, the beginning of spring break scares me.  My parents always go to Florida for vacation, Cory works a lot because spring break is one of his busiest weeks of the year, and I'm left trying to figure out how to keep three kids busy and happy for an entire week.  I don't know why I find this daunting, but I do. 

We are now two days into our break and through the course of the past 48 hours, I've been reminded of two things: 1) I have three incredible kids and 2) I love hanging out with them!  They have been uncharacteristically perfect the past two days...obeying, playing well together, not arguing. I know I am probably jinxing everything I just said and that tomorrow they are going to make me want to hide in a closet, but so far we have had a great start to our spring break.

We started our weekend with a fun visit from Aunt MerMer.  You always know when Aunt MerMer comes to visit because the girls get her signature hairstyle- pigtails!  Even Lily got to have her first set of pigtails!  I'm not sure who was more surprised that Lily left them in all day.  She usually pulls them out minutes after they go in.  She must have known just how special it is to have your hair done by Aunt MerMer!!
It rained all day Saturday when MerMer was here, but by Sunday the clouds moved out and the beautiful weather moved in.  I was so thankful, especially after the hard drive on our satellite box crashed on Sunday night and left us with no TV/DVR until at least tomorrow.  Needless to say, we have spent the majority of the past three days outside.  Yesterday, after Cory left for work, the kids discovered a roly poly and had so much fun playing with it until Parker accidentally cut him in half.  (As Lily would now say, "Oops!")  Luckily, they found another one fairly quickly and did not have to mourn for very long!

Lily did a lot of stair climbing while Parker and Eden took turns riding their four wheeler.  I'm sure you've already noticed, but check out Parker's cool sunglasses.  He found an old pair of Cory's sunglasses this weekend and has not taken them off since.  Literally.  He wears them outside, in the car, at the park.  We think it's hilarious and can't wait to see how long this lasts.  He told me yesterday, "Mom, you can see so much better with sunglasses on!".
We made a tent and had a picnic under it.  The kids loved it and wanted to keep it up until today but the neat freak in me just could not stand it any more and took it down before bed last night. 
My mom sent the kids a few dollars for a special treat, and since it was Cory's late night at work, I decided to treat myself (and the kids, of course!) to dinner at McDonald's.  I let them stay and play for over an hour and then we headed home to sanitize ourselves from the thousands of germs I'm sure they got while there.  Thank you Ronald McDonald for entertaining my kids during the witching hours...it was worth every penny (and germ!).
Today we headed to Aledo for a play date with some good friends.  We had a picnic at the park and then let the kids play until I knew they were tired enough to fall asleep on the car ride home.  Just kidding...kind of! (Notice in the first picture that Parker can barely look at me because he had forgotten his sunglasses in the car.  He quickly went to find them and wore them the entire time he played.  I told you he hasn't taken them off!)

After we got home, Eden and I headed out for mother/daughter pedicures.  This was Eden's first time to go with me so it deserves an entire post that I will hopefully get around to writing tomorrow.  After dinner tonight, we treated the kids to ice cream at Braum's. 
Tomorrow is hump day and I am actually kind of sad that our week is almost halfway over.  We are headed to Midlothian for lunch with Daddy and then over to Mansfield to play with Addison, Aubrey and Ryan.  I hope that the near perfect kids that I've had so much fun with this week decide to show up again tomorrow.  They've made being a mother of three seem way too easy and have made me feel really guilty that I ever doubted what a great week we were going to have together.

No comments:

Post a Comment