Tuesday, July 2, 2013

Alaska- Day 1 & 2

Cory and I just returned from an incredible 7-day Alaskan cruise to celebrate our 15th anniversary.  This was definitely a bucket list trip and it was just as amazing as we had hoped.  We took so many pictures that I don't really know where to start, so I guess I'll just go day by day. 
 
After a difficult good-bye (I've never been away from my kiddos for this long!), we flew into Vancouver, Canada on Tuesday night.  We didn't get to the hotel until bedtime, but we were able to get up and walk around downtown Vancouver a little bit on Wednesday morning before we boarded the cruise ship.  From the hour or two that we walked around, Vancouver seemed like a city that I'd love to go back and visit one day.
Wednesday afternoon, we boarded the ship and started checking out our home at sea.  Our room was actually a little bigger than I had imagined but the bathroom was tiny!
Before the ship could depart, every passenger had to attend a meeting that showed you how to use your life jacket, just in case of an emergency.
After departure, we had plenty of time to explore the ship.  It was so big and definitely easy to get lost!
After dinner, we decided to attend the Movies Under the Stars.  They were showing the new Jack Reacher movie and since Cory really wanted to see it, I bundled up and went with him.  I'm not sure how I made it through the entire movie because, even with the blankets they provided, it was FREEZING outside that first night.  And raining.  I got some serious brownie points for enduring until the end.
The next day, we were at sea all day and it just happened to be our 15th anniversary.  I'm really not sure what we did all day on the ship, but that night we got all dressed up for one of the formal dinners and enjoyed a nice dinner together.  When our waiter found out it was our anniversary, he surprised us with a special dessert and a "Happy Anniversary" song (which you know I loved- ha!). 
Our room steward also surprised us with balloons and a sign on our door.  Overall, it was a great anniversary!
 
Our first two days on the ship were nice, but we were very ready to reach our first port on Friday and start seeing Alaska. 

No comments:

Post a Comment