Thursday, June 6, 2013

Play Day

Last Friday was Play Day at Gerard, one of the most fun days of the entire school year.  I still have fond memories of Play Day when I was a 4th and 5th grader at Gerard so I knew this would be a day that Parker would never forget.  I was in charge of the concession stand all day, but my coworkers were sweet enough to let me slip away for a few minutes to watch Parker compete in all of his events. 
 
Kindergartners were allowed to participate in as many events as they wanted, which meant that some of them did just a couple and some did them all.  When I asked Parker that morning what events he chose, he said "All of them!" which didn't surprise me at all!  He is so competitive and we spent a few days leading up to Play Day talking about how he might not win every event and instead of getting upset and crying (which he's been known to do), he needed to cheer on his classmates who won.   
 
First up was the 50 yard dash which he easily won, even after getting a late start.  He also placed first in the 75 yard dash.  He was so excited about his blue ribbons!
He also placed first in the sack race, three legged race with Creed, and ball hop race. 
Up next were the hula hoop contest and jump rope contest which have never been strong activities for him, but I was proud of him for at least trying.
The final race was the 880 relay race, which included the four fastest boys and four fastest girls in each kindergarten class.  The four boys in Mrs. Pritchard's class were Parker, Matthew, Creed, and Joaquin.  Parker won his leg of the race but his class came in third overall. 

Parker had such a fun morning with his friends.  Little did he know that the fun wasn't over yet!

After a pizza party for lunch, Parker and his class changed into their swimsuits and headed outside to play on some water slides.
I had to go back to the concession stand so I didn't get to watch, but Parker said he had a great time on the slides!
Parker was exhausted by the end of the day but I know it is a day he will never forget!

No comments:

Post a Comment