Sunday, August 30, 2009

Meet the Teacher

We had Parker's Meet the Teacher for Thursday School today and I would sum it up with one word: DISASTEROUS!!!

We decided in the spring to try and find a preschool program for Parker to start attending this fall. I was not ready for him to go two days a week and finally found a one day program at one of the local churches.

I have been so excited about going and meeting his teacher today, but was a little worried when I found out that Meet the Teacher was during his naptime. For those of you who know Parker well, you know that he thrives on a schedule and does not have the most flexible personality. We rarely make plans during the hours of 1-3pm, because we know we will pay for it later in the day if he does not rest. He becomes grumpy, whiny, and throws a tantrum at the smallest thing that might upset him.

We arrived at the church and discovered that there would be a parent informational meeting prior to meeting the teachers. The preschoolers were supposed to sit in the pews with their parents during the meeting. I knew immediately that this was not a good start to the afternoon! Just as I had thought, Parker had a very hard time sitting still for 45 minutes, so Cory and I took turns taking him out into the foyer to walk around.

After the meeting, we finally got to go see his classroom and meet his teacher, Ms. Marcy. All of the other kids in his class quietly walked in the room and sat down in their chairs. Not Parker. I think he thought we were going to leave him, and he started throwing a huge crying fit. He became clingy and was so loud. All of the other parents were looking at us and all I wanted to do was get out of there as fast as possible.

I asked Ms. Marcy a few questions and then we very quickly made our exit! So much for first impressions!!

I am very anxious to see how Parker's first day of preschool will go on Thursday. Hopefully, the rest of the school year will go smoother than today and his teacher will see what a sweet spirit he really has.

No comments:

Post a Comment