Monday, July 27, 2009

Parker-isms

I have been so worried about Parker's speech development. At the beginning of the summer, he was still only saying a few words, and most of those were distinguishable only by me. My sister, who is a speech therapist, kept telling me not to worry, that his speech would come along in it's own sweet time.

I have been absolutely amazed at how in just the past few weeks his speech has grown leaps and bounds. He can now mimic almost anything Cory and I say and is picking up several new words every day. Yesterday he came up with rainbow, flower, and throw without any prompting. He also counted from 1 to 10 yesterday. I have no idea where he learned those...I have not worked on that at all!

He still mispronounces many words and if you heard him, you would probably have no idea what he is saying. Cory and I joke that we now speak Parkernese. I am so afraid that I am going to forget some of the funny ways he says things, so I wanted to make sure I wrote them down before he starts saying them correctly! Here are just a few of the things you might hear if you came to our house right now:

ga-key = water (We have no idea where he got this one, but he is very consistent with its use)

bummy or hop-hop = bunny

bubby= buddy

E.E. = Eden

Au-gu = Aubrey

hick = horse

hickies = more than one horse

niggy = piggy

scoo me = excuse me- he says this every time he burps. Proof that it is never too early to start working on manners.

Big guy yellow = McDonalds

Beeg = big... everything right now is BIG something-or-other (big ball, big truck, big shoo (dirty diaper) big kick, big throw... I think you get the idea!)

Oh, mo! = oh, no (He has actually started saying this one correctly, but it was so cute when he used to say it that I didn't want to forget it)

I am sure that this is just the beginning of the funny things that he will come up with over the next several years. I've waited a long time for him to start talking and I can't wait to hear them all!

No comments:

Post a Comment